Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nikita Chikita





The road trip to Mammoth from Tahoe was awesome.  Halo, Diana, and myself caravaned down there and stopped at a skate park and hot springs on the way down.  A few beers later and some rips, we were ready to hit the road again.  Nikita Chikita was a lot of fun this year...a challenge as well.  Since I broke my neck, the northwest hasn't had a jump over 25 - 30 feet, so going to the comp was really intimidating.  Getting the right speed during practice was impossible.  The second jump had a giant wedge to a short steep landing with very little table top to clear, so it was sending the girls easily past the landing to the flats.  One girl was taken to the hospital on a back board during practice.  This caused the jump to be closed for the majority of practice and watching her go through what I did, deterred me from wanting to hit the big side of the second jump.  I had planned on hitting the large side of the first jump, then the small sides of the last two.  Oh how quickly my mind changes.  Once the comp got underway, just about every chic in the pro was hitting the big sides.  How could I enter a comp in the pro division and ride like an amateur? So of coarse I had to go and hit the big sides to make sure I didn't make an ass of myself.  I am so glad that I did.  The pressure of the comp helped me overcome some jumping fears that developed from my injury.  I did not place well, but I was proud of myself personally and Ashley Thornton.  Ashley placed 4th at the comp and I think that is oober.  Thanks to Diana and Shred Betties for being so supportive.  Diana is a killer team manager.  

No comments: